Friday, June 02, 2006

The Path



There are times in life when the path ahead is both exciting and scary. The unknown seems dark, the path frought with danger and littered with the remains of the unfortunate souls who passed this way before. Its at these times that we have to look back on the many paths we've taken in our lives to get to this point. How many of those paths were what we expected them to be? Were the scary always those that worked out the least desirably? Were the paths that seemed the most clear of danger those that we found to be the right path?

What dangers do we fear on these darker paths? Are the dangers more pronounced in our imagination than the real danger? Are the dangers we fear of our own manufacture? Are we afraid because we have been taught to be afraid? Taught to avoid the potential of pain at all costs? How much risk are we willing to take?

There are times to act on faith. Is this the time? Is it time to try to see past our fears and take the next step?

Each of us must decide.

7 Comments:

Blogger KTH said...

KWN you pretty much summed up my inner feelings at this time in my life. Thank you. I've come to the conclusion that to not take the next path is scarier than doing nothing.

*hugs*

10:26 AM  
Blogger Kymberlee said...

I love this picture, John.

I believe fear is an illusion and that there are no accidents and therefore no wrong turns. Whatever path I've walked brought me to where I am today. The destination and where it all leads is less important to me than being present for the journey and fully awake to the greater truth of it all.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

No offense, but I would not walk across a bridge that looked like that, especially if there was a long drop.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Luz said...

Good one KNW and I agree with finiky...that to not take the next path is scarier than doing nothing! I'm ready to move forward and face the dark turn for I can see the light around the bend.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Son of Groucho said...

"Fortune favours the brave", my friend.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fear will always be with us because we will perpetually be surrounded by a cloud of the unknown (or unknowable) and we are almost always afraid of the unknown and that which we cannot control. For this reason it is sometimes best to just acknowledge the fear, embrace the leaps of faith, and turn towards the love that is also always around us: The welcoming arms of the Beloved.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a deep and soulful blog. I'm glad I made my way over for a visit.

Terrific photo, by the way. :)

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home